Tuesday, August 14, 2007

LIFE BEGINS AT EIGHTY

The first 80 years are the hardest.
The second 80 as my experience goes are a succession of birthday parties - everybody wants to help you up the stairs.
If you forget anybody's name or forget an appointment, or promise to be at two or three places at the same time, or spell words wrongly you can explain that you are 80.
If you spill soup on your tie or fail to shave one side of your face, or if you take some man's hat by mistake, or fail to mail a letter for a week and carry it around in your pocket - you are 80.
So you can relax with no misgivings for you have a perfect alibi for everything when you are 80. No one expects much of you.
If you act silly it is your second childhood.
Everybody is looking for symptoms of softening of the brain.
Being 80 is a great deal better than being 65 or 70. At that time you are expected to retire to a little house in Florida and become discontented, grumbling, limping - a "Has Been".
But if you survive till 80, everybody is surprised that you can talk above a whisper - surprised if you reveal signs of lucid intervals.
At 70 people are mad at you for everything.
At 80 they forgive you for everything.
by Frank Lambach

Well, I still have a few years to go behaving myself before I can enter my second childhood. I anticipated I had to wait until I was 84. I am glad to learn I can begin my second childhood four years earlier than I had though. LOL

No comments: