Tuesday, July 22, 2008

SWAP PACKAGE RECEIVED, SECRET PAL AND SOLARA

Last week I received my whoduknit mystery knit swap package. The goal for this swap was to knit something for your partner using yarn she sends you. I sent my pal Lilli a cake of pink, blue and white very short eyelash yarn I received from my friend who lives in China. Knowing she was a new knitter I thought she could make a scarf or a pillow cover knitting just garter stitch. She wrote and told me she was having problems with the yarn and what to knit with it so I told her what I thought could be knit with it. BUT she knit something different and better. She knit me an ear warmer and even returned the remaining yarn from the cake.

I also received two lovely new mystery books I haven't read yet which will go on my to read list and a mystery book on CDs. I have never "listened" to a book. I read all about people listening to books on ipods and cassettes. I think I have a portable cassette player but I would have to go looking. I do have a portable CD player handy though.
There were three skeins of eyelash yarn in my package to add to my collection. The one that looks like blue is really purple but for whatever reason photographed as blue.
In the box was some Werther's Original Candy AND, of course, Solara wasn't forgotten.
Are you curious what I made for Lilli? Lilli sent me a large skein of variegated Red Heart yarn. I knit her a potato chip scarf. I had hoped to have enough for the last entire row before I added some Boa yarn of my own to fancy it up but I didn't so I had to add the Boa to finish the last row and then I did the last row and cast off row in the eyelash. She seemed pleased. I have to admit it was quite nice.

This yahoo group whoduknit is a fun and interesting group. We read a mystery book each month and discuss it the first two weeks of the following month. We also knit, crochet or craft a project from an idea in the book. Prizes are awarded. There are swaps, contests galore on the group, and Aug 1 will be the groups 2nd birthday with a party planned. So if this sounds like something fun that you would be interested in check it out.

So now I need to send off a personal thank-you to Lilli and let her know it arrived and also post on the whoduknit blog and the yahoo group.

BUT before I do that I need to answer the 6th question for Secret Pal 12 which is

What is your favorite type of project to take along on holiday/vacation?If you’d like to share a story…Tell us about a time that you packed too much knitting or were stranded without knitting.

I usually take socks when I go away as they are small and easy to pack. BUT I must add I don't pack just one pair after all what would happen if I finished it or both or all three so I usually manage to pack enough sock yarn to knit for an army. AND you never know my friends who have the car may NOT want to take me to get more or the shops could be closed. I haven't been away for quite a while and the last time I was away I had so little room left in my suitcases for the new yarns I purchased I even had to NOT purchase a cone of dishcloth cotton from PnC b/c I knew I had no room in my suitcase. I was very disappointed being this was the first time I had seen it after hearing so much about it. I have since received a cone of white PnC which is now almost all used. No I couldn't mail it back home since the box being mailed back to me was over filled and I was having a hard time taping it shut.

This is Solara speaking. I have a couple of new photos for you. This first one is a close up of me.
AND here is one of my profile and I think my mom caught me smiling too.
Maybe I can talk her into putting one of those videos on the blog she took of me playing with my new toy from Anne.

No comments: